If you are looking for evidence that being on the Common Application helps a university increase its application volume, look no further than UGA. For Fall 2021, the first season that UGA was a choice on the Common App, they saw a 40% increase in applications. Prior to last year, students had to apply to UGA through the university's application portal. Another explanation for the application increase could be the move to test-optional admissions last year, which was only a one-year pilot - the Georgia Board of Regents required state universities and colleges to resume use of the ACT or SAT for Fall 2022 admissions. Regardless, the Georgia Bulldogs are hot and students from many states are newly considering this state flagship among their options.
Here are Five Fun Facts about the University of Georgia:
1) You don't have to look beyond the homepage to learn that UGA was the birthplace of public higher education in America. In 1785, University of Georgia became the first state-chartered university.
(The University of Carolina - Chapel Hill would argue that they are first, because they actually started admitting students before UGA. William & Mary has an older charter than both of these, but they began as a private school, not a public school).
2) If you are looking to go to college in a quintessential college town, you will find it in Athens. Foodies, music lovers, nature enthusiasts, shoppers, beer drinkers - you will find it all in Athens, where you can choose your own "athventure."
3) Academically motivated students who are thinking about pursuing a master's degree can explore how to become a DoubleDawg. UGA offers over 100 opportunities for students to pursue a 4-year Bachelor's degree followed by a 1-year Master's degree. The options almost seem limitless. Other combined degree options include a Bachelor's (3 years) plus J.D. (3 years) and a seven-year Bachelor's in Pharmaceutical Sciences plus Doctor of Pharmacy (PharmD).
4) The newly named Morehead Honors College is among the most selective in the country, having enrolled many students who have gone on to earn prestigious awards like Rhodes, Truman, Fulbright and Goldwater Scholarships. Honors students enjoy honors-only classes that average 18 students and can often access in-demand courses more easily. About half of honors students engage in undergraduate research through the Center for Undergraduate Research Opportunities (CURO). Faculty-mentored research is available to students from any discipline for up to four full years of college.
5) In case you aren't aware, there is an epic rivalry between the Georgia Bulldogs and the Florida Gators which takes place each year in neutral Jacksonville. It is coming up this Saturday, October 30 and predictions show Georgia getting the win.
With 9 men's varsity sports, 12 women's varsity sports, 22 intramural sports and 45 club sports, there is no shortage of opportunities to get your game on at UGA. If sports aren't your thing, there are over 700 registered student organizations and 62 national Greek-letter groups so there really is something for everything.
Who wouldn't want this face as their mascot? (I guess I can point to tens of thousands of people who wear orange and blue....)