School Spotlight Series - Expanding Your Knowledge
I find that when I first ask high school students about the schools they are considering, they often name schools that are familiar to them because of parents, siblings, neighbors, coaches, camp counselors, etc. This is not unusual - their exposure to colleges and universities is understandably limited to the people in their inner circles.
Similarly, the names of schools that parents first mention are often those of their own alma mater, those they considered when they or their older children applied to college, those that are in close geographic proximity or those that are highly ranked or have a strong media presence.
I thought it would be fun to highlight some interesting facts about a different school each week to get you to expand your awareness of the multitude of colleges out there (Did you know that there are over 4,000 degree-granting academic institutions in the U.S.?)
I recently attended a meeting of the Ohio Association for College Admissions Counseling (OACAC) that was hosted at Denison, so this week with School Spotlight #1 I offer you:
Five Fun Facts about Denison University:
1. At Denison the student to faculty ratio is 9:1 and faculty are highly engaged in the student experience.
2. Denison has need-blind admissions, awards $66 million in need-based financial assistance and merit-based aid each year and meets 100% of the demonstrated financial need of students.
3. Denison offers 180 off-campus programs and that 80% of students study abroad.
4. Michael D. Eisner, former Chairman and CEO of Walt Disney, is a Denison alumnus who funded the Michael D. Eisner Center for the Performing Arts, which just opened in summer 2019 and provides outstanding facilities for students interested in music, theater and dance.
5. 94% of the most recent graduating class was employed within 6 months of graduation (or enrolled in graduate school or participating in a post-graduate service program like Peace Corps or Teach for America).