School Spotlight: Savannah College of Art & Design (SCAD)
Updated: May 8
Have you ever gone through the Chic-Fil-A drive-through and been presented with the menu on an iPad? Well, according to a SCAD admissions representative, this idea came from SCAD students. Through SCADpro, students are connected with Fortune 500 companies to generate new products and ideas. Another collaboration resulted in a redesign of the uniforms for Delta Air Lines' employees. Have I piqued your curiosity about the Savannah College of Art and Design? Here are 5 more Fun Facts:
1) SCAD has three campuses and admitted students can take advantage of all three - the first one and largest is in Savannah, Georgia, naturally. The second is in Atlanta, Georgia, and the third is in Lacoste, France. Most academic programs are offered at all campuses, so you can move between the campuses throughout your time at SCAD. Exceptions include performing arts degrees, which are only in Savannah, and sculpture, which is only offered in Atlanta.
2) SCAD has the #1 program in interior design and has held this distinction seven times. The program is accredited by CIDA, the Council for Interior Design Accreditation. If courses like Drawing I: Form and Space; Color: Theory and Application; Visual Culture in Context: Making Modernities; and Lighting for the Interior make your eyes light up, a BFA in Interior Design may be right for you. See some of the student work here.
3) Students who enroll at SCAD will learn from professors who are industry professionals. The famous NBC peacock - designed by Steff Geissbuller, who is currently an adjunct professor at SCAD. Performing arts students looking to perfect their auditions will gain practice through the SCAD Casting Office, the only on-site, professionally run casting office in higher education. The Casting Office is run by a former CBS Primetime Casting Director, Andra Reeve-Raab.
4) Ready for a unique degree? The business of beauty and fragrance. Students enrolled on the Savannah campus or online can learn how to market and sell beauty and fragrance products through this BFA. L'Oréal, Lancome, and Chanel will be calling your name...
5) Students choose SCAD so they will be prepared to launch careers as creative professionals. An important piece of this preparation is the ability to communicate your craft effectively. SCADamp gives students the tools they need to hone your interpersonal, verbal, and visual communication skills, which will maximize your chances for professional success.
You may be surprised to learn that a portfolio is not a required element of the admissions process but can be submitted for scholarship consideration. While other college applications may take you weeks or months of preparation, this one will take you 10 minutes. Once you begin, you will be connected with an advisor who will guide you through the rest of the SCAD process. Students can apply year round and start throughout the year, but fall quarter is the most popular time to begin. Learn more about SCAD here and check out some of the award-winning work coming out of SCAD here.