School Spotlight: Rose Hulman Institute of Technology
Updated: May 8
Last week the Ohio Association of College Admissions Counseling (OACAC) hosted several virtual sessions as part of their Virtual College Exploration Week. I had the opportunity to hear from Jill Butcher, Associate Director of Admissions and the Ohio region admissions representative. I think you may be surprised to learn about these 5 Fun Facts about Rose Hulman:
1) According to U.S. News and World Report, Rose-Hulman takes the #1 spot in undergrad engineering programs among colleges whose highest degree offered is a bachelor's or master's degree. #1 ranked majors include mechanical, civil, chemical, electrical and computer engineering.
2) Fourteen Rose-Hulman alumni are currently working at Elon Musk's Space X. The mechanical engineering program is the largest/most popular major on campus and virtually 100% of all graduates have jobs within a few months of graduation.
3) A benefit of a school that focuses only on undergraduate students is that they get access to opportunities often reserved for upperclassman at other universities, like the MiNDS lab (Micro-Nano Scale Device and Systems) as early as freshman year. Also, all classes are taught by faculty with a PhD - no TAs teaching students. And, they are highly accessible to students, keeping an open door policy to provide guidance when needed.
4) Rose-Hulman has a multi-million dollar performing arts center, Hatfield Hall, that hosts student drama productions as well as choir, band, orchestra and jazz ensemble concerts (during non-COVID times). Hatfield Hall also welcomes local artists and nationally known performers. 400 of the school's 2,000+ undergrads are involved in the performing arts.
5) The Center for Global Engagement facilitates international education through Global E3, a consortium of 60 engineering schools in the U.S. and more than 20 countries; or, through Engineers without Borders, letting students work on sustainable engineering projects in developing countries.
Interested in financial aid? Most Rose Hulman students qualify for some merit aid, but those who apply by the November 1 Early Action deadline get a bigger share of the pot. Rose has just begun hosting campus tours for prospective students once again - only 9 people per slot, twice a day.