School Spotlight: Lehigh University
Updated: May 8
Lehigh University is a medium-sized private school located in Bethlehem, PA, which is in the Lehigh Valley, the third most populous metropolitan area in Pennsylvania. You may be familiar with Lehigh as an engineering powerhouse, offering 12 different undergraduate engineering majors and 13 technical minors. Curious to learn more about the Mountain Hawks?
Here are 5 Fun Facts about Lehigh University:
1) Lehigh is launching a brand new Population Health major, making it the second school in the country to offer this academic concentration at the undergraduate level. This major "prepares students to investigate the determinants of health using data science, and to identify novel and effective avenues for disease prevention, health promotion, diagnosis, and intervention." I have a feeling this major may garner quite a bit of interest...
2) Lehigh is known for offering innovative programs like IDEAS, the Integrated Degree in Engineering and Arts and Sciences. IDEAS is a four-year honors program that enables students to get a bachelor's degree with concentrations in both Engineering and Arts and Sciences. Lehigh places a strong emphasis on interdisciplinary studies - the College of Arts and Sciences alone offers more than 20 interdisciplinary studies programs.
3) While not a large university (undergraduate enrollment is just over 5,000 students), Lehigh places a strong emphasis on research and has access to resources of a large research institution. Opportunities for research are available to undergraduate students as early as their first year of studies. Check out some examples of undergraduate student research projects in the College of Arts and Sciences.
4) In 2004, Lehigh gained NGO status (non-governmental organization) with the United Nations. The Lehigh/UN partnership has resulted in students serving as Youth Representatives to the UN, interning for the UN, and hearing ambassadors and global leaders from around the world speak on campus.
5) The Brown and White is Lehigh's student newspaper, which has been in publication since 1894. The Brown and White is entirely student produced and is published in print twice a week during the school year, but provides online coverage 24/7.
Bonus Fun Facts: Lehigh's wrestling program has brought home 37 championships as a member of the Eastern Intercollegiate Wrestling Association (EIWA).
Lehigh has received 5/5 stars on the Campus Pride Index and is recognized as a Top 10 LGBT friendly school in the country.
Lehigh offers two ED deadlines and a RD deadline.