School Spotlight: Kenyon College
Updated: May 8
Looking for a terrific school that is not too far from Columbus but feels like a world away? Consider another "Hidden Ivy," Kenyon College. Kenyon is an outstanding residential liberal arts college "where academic excellence goes hand in hand with a strong sense of community."
6 things you need to know about Kenyon:
1) A $75 million gift, the largest in college history, was recently given to Kenyon and is currently being used to develop a new academic quadrangle that will be the interdisciplinary hub in the heart of campus.
2) Professors are highly accessible to students, developing relationships as mentors and friends and placing a strong emphasis on providing outstanding teaching.
3) Actors Allison Janney and Paul Newman graduated from Kenyon. It has a small, but very well-regarded drama department, having been listed as one of "The Fifteen Best Colleges for the Aspiring Actor.
4) The most popular major at Kenyon is English. John Greene, popular young adult novelist, is a graduate of Kenyon. You may recognize him from titles like The Fault in our Stars and Turtles All the Way Down. Half of juniors at Kenyon study abroad. Among the many opportunities includes one specifically for students in the English department. The Kenyon-Exeter program enables students to study among British students and faculty under the guidance of a Kenyon English professor at the University of Exeter.
5) A Kenyon degree opens up doors - both to graduate school and to jobs. Google, Center for Disease Control, Goldman Sachs, Procter & Gamble - these are among the employers that recruit Kenyon graduates. Check out some of the recent first jobs of Kenyon grads. About 18% of graduates go directly to graduate or professional schools - 99% of Kenyon grads are offered admission to law school or business school and over 90% with a GPA of 3.25+ are accepted to medical school.
6) Kenyon athletes have earned 60 NCAA Division III national championships - more than any other Division III institution. Tennis comprises three of these and the remaining were earned in both men's and women's swimming and diving.