Are you a strong student looking for an intimate and personalized college experience? Do you have a passion for the great outdoors? Do you want a lot of flexibility to design your own college curriculum and wish you could focus on just one class at a time? Look no further than Colorado College, a highly selective small liberal arts college located in Colorado Springs, at the base of the Rockies.
Here is what you need to know about CC:
1) Colorado College is extremely unique in its approach to curriculum. It uses something called the Block Plan that gives students freedom to explore their academic interests by taking one three-and-a-half week course at a time. You can see what this looks like by designing a sample block plan here. Students begin with foundation seminars as a part of the First-Year Program. These seminars introduce students to the concept of a liberal arts education and CC's model of block learning. At CC, students have the ability to select from over 80 majors or design their own through the Independently Designed Major (IDM) program.
2) Colorado's location makes it easy to facilitate outdoor education. Colorado College Outdoor Education (CCOE) runs about 200 outdoor trips per year as well as workshops and training. During non-COVID times, incoming students participate in the Priddy Program, a 5-day service-based orientation trip in Colorado or the Southwest. Through the Ahlberg Leadership Institute, students can train to lead trips or get certifications in things like Climbing Wall Instructor or CPR/First Aid.
3) Health and wellness are priorities at Colorado College. The Wellness Resource Center focuses on holistic well-being with primary attention to sexual assault response and prevention, mental health, and substance abuse education. Every CC student has access to 6 free counseling sessions per year through the Colorado College Counseling Center. The Adam F. Press Fitness Center offers individual fitness consultations and group classes. Dining options cater to students with dietary restrictions/allergies and often feature sustainable and farm to table ingredients.
4) Olympian, Pulitzer-Prize winner, member of the U.S. House of Representatives - what do these have in common? Alumni produced by Colorado College. Curious about life after college for graduates of CC? Check out some of their notable alumni - you will see some recognizable names. The Career Center has wonderful resources to help students connect their interests with a career pathway and direct them towards potential opportunities.
5) CC's Honnen Ice Arena is home to the Division 1 Hockey Tigers and the Colorado College Figure Skating Team, which competes in the U.S. Figure Skating Intercollegiate Series. Honnen offers learn to skate lessons and public skating, as well as Ice Broomball, a fun intramural sport.
Colorado College has a 10:1 student to faculty ratio and no class is larger than 25 students. Learn more about CC and the admissions process here.