CSI: Campus Visit
No, not CSI as in Crime Scene Investigation, but College Scene Investigation. The Campus Visit is indeed an investigation of a particular college or university. During a campus visit, you are investigating whether the campus is meeting all of your requirements. Are you satisfied with the answers you are being given by the admissions staff and the students? Do you feel like you are getting more clarity about what to expect at this school? Can you picture yourself in this college scene?
In order to get the answers you need, you need to be prepared with the right questions.
Here is a list to get you started:
5 Great Questions for Admissions Staff
1) How would you describe the type of students that are most successful here?
2) Is there anything special or unique that your school is known for?
3) How does your school differentiate itself from... (fill in the blank as appropriate - other Big 10 schools or other liberal arts colleges, for example)?
4) How much access do students have to faculty outside of class time?
5) How much opportunity is there for undergraduate students to engage in research? (most relevant for large, comprehensive research universities)
5 Great Questions for Current Students
1) What made you choose to enroll here?
2) How would you describe the student culture here?
3) What is the typical balance of time spent on academics relative to extra-curricular and social activities on this campus?
4) What has been your most frustrating experience at school?
5) What is something that you think it is important for any incoming freshman to know about ...insert school name?